Saturday, May 5, 2018

Kentucky Derby


The things you learn when writing a blog.  So today is the 144th running of the Kentucky Derby - that famous American horse race where humans drink mint juleps and wear funny hats. So of course I had to see if there was ANY connection to dogs and the Run for the Roses. And here is what I found...

I found this cute video with Jimmy Fallon :

And then I found out about Jim the Wonder dog.  Never hear of him?  Me either.  Jim was a Llewelyn Setter who lived from 1925-1937.  And apparently, Jim had an uncanny ability to "predict" things.  He could predict the sex of an unborn child and the winner of the Kentucky Derby - which he did 7 times in a row!  The Director of the Veterinary School at the University of Missouri even tested Jim and said he had unique talents for predicting things.  In 1999, a statue of Jim was erected in a park in Marshall, Missouri where Jim died. Here is more info about the interesting things that Jim did.


OK, Disney, do I see a Jim the Wonder Dog movie coming soon?!

So that's a few dog related connections to the Derby.  Now excuse me while I go and race Einstein to the treat jar.

Have a good one!  Peace and paws up!
Seizure-free days: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment