Friday, April 3, 2015

MORE payback...


Payback. And more payback.  That’s what yesterday was all about. And in the end, I learned that humans sometimes DO win…

So the day began with the bunny ear payback by waking my human up on a holiday at the crack of dawn.  We thought we were PRETTY clever.  Until she called me into the garage.  For a full-out grooming session.  Not just a quick brush-me-so-I-don’t-look-like-a-mop session.  We’re talking the WHOLE torturous lie-on-the-table-and-and-have-half-your-coat-removed session.  Ugh.  Frodo was in the other room squeaking.  He wanted “in” because there are treats included in the full-out session.  And then when I was done, it was his turn.  When he realized what was happening, he wasn’t so anxious to go in after all.

Paxton escaped the groom-a-thon simply because he had it the other day.  And frankly, after wrestling with me and Frodo for several hours, my human didn’t have the strength to do Paxton too.

And THEN, if the grooming wasn’t enough, she took more Easter photos.  The FINAL product that will be shared on Sunday is WITHOUT the bunny ears.  Thank goodness for small miracles.  

So.  Now it was OUR turn again for payback. My human let us out in the yard to pee, while she surveyed the remnants of the luge run.  And I’ll blame it on the spring-like weather – and Paxton – but the two of us took off.  Over the ten foot high snow mountain, and we were GONE.  My human figured we wouldn’t go anywhere – the snow is still deep.  So she didn’t make anything of our great escape.  And of course, Frodo the “good dog” stayed behind.  After a few minutes, my human began to call us.  But we were possessed by the spring demons – and we were NOT coming back.  So she called more.  And blew the whistle.  Which usually works.   Nope. Two crazy canines on the lam.

So my human got in the car with Frodo and they drove up the driveway and down the road. She saw the neighbor walking up his driveway.  She rolled down the window and asked him if he had seen us.  “The big one and the little one?” he replied.  “Yup, they’re in the yard behind the house.”  My human said she would take the car home – and would come back to get us.  She took the car and Frodo home and grabbed two leashes.  JUST as she walked up our driveway and was almost to the road, here I came.  Trotting home happily.  Until I spotted my not-so-happy human. Oooooo baby she was not happy.  She put a leash on me and headed back to the neighbor’s place to look for Bucket Head.  And here he was.  Trotting up their driveway.  She put a leash on him and marched us both home.  She then marched us downstairs to the rec room and blocked the door with the gate – so we couldn’t come upstairs.  We were left in solitary while she took the “good dog” for a nice long walk.  When she got back, she let us out and we acted very contrite and grateful.

I think I’ll quit with the payback thing for now.  And besides, after Easter, there probably aren’t any holidays that will entail “dress up” photos. And if there is, there CAN’T be anything worse than the bunny ears, can there?

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment