Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Just be calm.




So on Sunday, my human FINALLY conceded defeat in the nail clipper battle with Elroy.  She's been trying for weeks, with positive methods, to get him to allow HER to cut his nails.  And really, he DOES comply.  He lets her hold his paw.  She can tap the clipper on his nail.  BUT, every time she actually TRIES to cut a nail, SHE gets nervous.  And she hesitates.  And he figures, "Hey - if SHE'S scared, I should be scared."  So he pulls away.  I have NO idea WHY she's scared - she does my nails and Frodo's nails all the time.   But she does get nervous with Jaws.  And his nails continue to grow. 

So last week she pulled out the Dog Dremel.  Only to find the battery dead.  And, of COURSE, she couldn't find the charger.  So scrap THAT idea.  

So on Sunday, she loaded Jaws in the vehicle and drove about 45 minutes to see "Auntie" Glenda.  Auntie Glenda has a "way" with dogs.  Heck - she showed me in conformation while my human was showing Frodo - and she got all my points with me!!!  So you KNOW she must be good with dogs.  Auntie Glenda is also a groomer.  On the drive there, my human had visions of her wrestling with Elroy while Glenda clipped away - much like the scene at the Vet's office the first time.  Her fears were TOTALLY unfounded - this is Auntie GLENDA after all -  the REAL Dog Whisperer.  She put Elroy on the grooming table and told my human to release her death grip.  She simply kept repeating "Just be calm."  I think the message is more for the human owner than the dog.  Well.  Jaws stood there, and put up NO fight as Glenda used a dremel on his nails.  Within MINUTES they were done.  

THEN - he got to go for a walk in a park near Auntie Glenda.  Now ordinarily I would be TOTALLY jealous.  HOWEVER - it WAS raining - and we all know what Frodo and I think about rain.  In this particular instance, better Elroy than me - he loves the rain!



So.  IF you humans are feeling stressed  - OR if your dog is feeling stressed, simply repeat Auntie Glenda's magic mantra:  "Just be calm".   My human was shouting it out this morning as we began our day - while Jaws was tearing another hole in the carpet, Frodo was barking his morning "wake up" song and I was counter surfing.  I think Auntie Glenda needs to come and stay with us for a week...or more...


No comments:

Post a Comment