Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Winter's Tale...


Oh the joys of winter.  That’s what my human kept repeating yesterday.  We heard it over and over and over again…



My human’s day actually began abruptly around midnight… because I’m afraid I was rather naughty.  I was all comfy cozy ON her bed.  She was juuuuuuuuust falling asleep – and Paxton got up and walked over to the bed. And I don’t know WHY I did it, but I decided that he shouldn’t be there.  So I got kind of nasty with him.  Which lasted for .0085 seconds because my human is faster than a speeding bullet when “inappropriate behavior” occurs in our house.  That’s why it RARELY occurs.  I was IMMEDIATELY evicted from the bedroom – and PAXTON got to go ON the bed.  Imagine my shock.  And immediate remorse.  So I rambled aimlessly around in the kitchen and dining room intermittently squeaking.   Feeling VERY sorry for myself.  At 2AM, my human could no longer STAND my mournful squeaks so she let me back in the bedroom – with a warning that if I even LOOKED at Paxton, I was banished for the night.  Needless to say, I was WELL behaved.  Frodo tells Paxton that he shoud just flatten me.  That's what Frodo would do.  But Paxton is WAY too nice for that.  I need to be nicer to him....I promise I will.

Then at 3AM, there was a noise.  The sound of the power in the house – going off.  In the midst of a storm – heavy snow and winds caused a power outage in our immediate area.  My human figured there was not much she could do – so she went back to sleep. 



At 5 AM she woke up, checked the time, and decided to post my blog from yesterday using her smartphone.  She also checked on-line and found out her university was closed.  Perfect.  Especially since we still had no power.



At 6:30, almost as if to tease us, the power went back on.  Yay!  For 30 seconds.  And then it went off.  Until about 7AM. THEN it was FINALLY time to get up!



The snow really WAS pretty yesterday.  My human went out without us to take some photos.  In the still, peaceful, quiet of the morning she took these shots.  With HOWLING dogs standing in the window watching her.   Here are a few shots:









THEN she came in, stuffed her pockets with new yummy treats – and threatened that IF we ran off- we could not have supper later in the day.  Needless to say – no one ran off.  But opening that door was like letting the bulls loose at Pamplona.


Getting the three of us to sit still was nothing short of a MIRACLE.  






 But she succeeded in taking some photos of us.  The good shots are pretty good.  







 
 But I think a few of the bloopers are even better.  You know me - the class clown.  I couldn’t HELP myself.  It’s from my new class on scent work – I HAD to smell UNDER the snow. And then I had to stick my tongue out at the camera.


 


So that was our day.  Our human worked at home all day – and after the photo shoot we all needed a good nap. 

Did I ever mention that I LOVE winter?!  Excuse me while I go and look at the forecast for tomorrow….

Oh.  And by the way.  Despite the fact that my human was SURE she was going to win the Powerball Lottery yesterday, I'm here to share the sad news that she didn't win.  And I thought she had such a GOOD chance - I mean the odds were only like one in 300 gazillion.  About the same as the chances of me behaving for a week.  Or a day.  Actually an hour.  But she HAD to take one chance. You humans.  I guess buying a ticket was better than her spending money on canine attire at the Dollar Store.  Just think - if she had won - she could have BOUGHT a Dollar Store.  On second thought, just as well she DIDN'T win. Besides, I would have had to send my blogs from some deserted, undisclosed southern island, while she figured out what to do with all that cash. I could certainly have helped her - treats would have been at the TOP of the list.  Lots of treats.  Millions of treats. BILLIONS of treats.  Oh well.  Back to reality - and my paltry rations.  Better luck next time!

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment