Tuesday, January 26, 2016

It was all fun and games. And then the Berner threw up….


It was all fun and games.  And then the Berner threw up….

So yesterday was my human’s day off.  After she did some work on the computer, she took all of us out in the afternoon for another run.  We had a nice run in the morning, and I actually got a long walk to the mailboxes at the end of the road, too.  I think she was trying to tire me out before scent class.  Anyway, we were all running around and having a grand time. I had a fetch toy that I was carrying – my human has figured out that if I carry it, I won’t take off in the woods.  I just stay close to her – so she can throw it.  Paxton has been on his best behavior lately too.  No wild escapes to the neighbors’.  So we were all running around in our state of joyful doggish glee. Frodo was rolling in the snow – I was fetching and carrying my toy and Paxton….well he decided to take a break and just lounge in the snow.  And he also decided to EAT some snow.

Well. The next thing you know, my human glances over at Pax as she hears that telltale urky-gurky sound.  Most dog owners know it.  It’s the sound that we dogs make before we throw up.  And sure enough – the inevitable happens. Bam.  And Frodo and I went into frenzy mode.  To a PON, another dog throwing up is like a kid standing in front of a malfunctioning gumball machine that is quickly spitting out candy and treats.  Jackpot!!!!  My human DOVE to grab us – shouting “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LEAVE IT!!!!!!!!!” so loud I am SURE people within a 5 mile radius heard her.  Frodo and I knew we only had a split second before she reached us – and both of us wanted the bounty.  So we actually had a skirmish over it.  We were rolling in the snow, making all kinds of noise- growling and barking at each other.  All over some dog puke.  My human grabbed us by the collars and said “THAT’S enough of THAT.”  And she commanded that we go in the house.  All this time, Paxton was looking rather sheepish about the whole incident.  So much for a peaceful jaunt in the great outdoors.

Scent class was great again last night.  The Sheltie who hates me was replaced by another Sheltie – who I think thought I was pretty cool.  I mean we sat right next to each other and we even took turns sharing treats.  He’s not like his evil twin sister.  Actually, I don’t think they ARE twins and I’m not even sure they are related – but they do live together.  And she probably NOT evil - just a bit possessed.  He, on the other hand, was very nice to me.  I was more controlled during my searches and I was 100% accurate in finding my hot dogs.  I THINK I’m getting the hang of this, although next week we are apparently changing things up a bit – and things will be getting a little more difficult.  Hey – if there are hot dogs involved, I’m good.  Really, anything edible works for me.  And come to think of it, even things that aren’t so edible would be fine in my books…

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment