Monday, January 11, 2016

- .-. . .- - ...?


January 11.
- --- -.. .- -.--  .. …  .-.. . .- .-. -. -.-- --- ..- .-.  -. .- -- .  .. -.  -- --- .-. … .  -.-. --- -.. .  -.. .- -.--

For those who looked at this and thought my computer went wonky – nope.  What you see is Morse Code – and it says Today is Learn Your Name in Morse Code Day.  At least I THINK it does – as my paw may have hit an extra dot or dash while typing it!  Morse Code was developed in the 1800’s and was used as a means to communicate text via the electrical telegraph.  While it was once used extensively in military communications, by pilots, and by amateur radio operators, its use has largely been replaced by modern communication systems.  Some think it will disappear completely in the not-too-distant future.  “Older folks” will know the common distress SOS code: … --- … (Dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot) – but most young people today probably wouldn’t know it.  My human’s father was in the Navy – so he knew Morse Code – and my human remembers playing around with messages as a kid.  I told you she is OLD.

I couldn’t find a lot of connections between dogs and Morse Code – and although I’m SURE SOMEONE has tried to teach a dog the Code, I couldn’t find any good examples.  IF we did learn to comprehend it, the spelling part in USING it could be a bit of a challenge.  Although you CAN order tags for your dog that are in Morse Code.  And dog bowls with a name in Morse Code.  Probably not such a bright idea, as knowing how to decipher it is not commonly known these days…

Anyway – here’s the alphabet if you want to write your name!

A   .-              M   --                Y   -.--
B   -…            N   -.                Z   --..
C   -.-.            O   ---
D   -..              P   .--.
E   .                Q   --.-
F   ..-.             R   .-.
G   --.             S  
H   ….            T   -
I   ..                 U   ..-
J   .---             V   …-
K   -.-             W   .--
L   .-..             X   -..-

Today is also Step In a Puddle and Splash your Friend Day.  Given that Frodo and I walk AROUND puddles, you see why I chose to write about Morse Code instead.  It’s kind of amusing to watch us as we RACE like CRAZY for the front door when it’s mealtime.  We’re tearing across the lawn.  All sights set on the door and getting in AS QUICKLY as possible to be fed.  Like heat seeking missiles.  Soaring.  FLYING.  And then we veer in a parallel direction – to go AROUND a puddle.  While Paxton is barreling through. 

Today is also the day that I start my new Scentwork class.  Now THIS should be interesting.  As long as no one pees on my head while I’m sniffing….

Have a GRRRRREAT day.    …-  ..  -.-  -  ---  .-.

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment