Thursday, January 7, 2016

National Pass Gas Day. Really.



January 7.  National Pass Gas Day.  I kid you not.  I do not make these up! 



Someone actually asked the question on a Facebook page the other day, whether humans have “problems” with their PONs passing gas.    My human didn’t respond, but now she has convinced me that I SHOULD write about the topic – given the “holiday”.  So HERE we go…



While I am proud to announce that Frodo and I do NOT pass gas…well…not very often anyway…Paxton beats both of us with this “talent.” He can let loose an airborne noxious missile that justifies wearing a hazmat suit.  I mean it is TOXIC.  If you lit a match, the whole house would probably explode.  Apparently, this unique “talent”  can be caused by a  number of things, and if it is REALLY bad,  it should be discussed with your Vet.  But if it’s not caused by any serious gastrointestinal problems, there ARE some things you can do that MAY reduce the fall out.  Feeding your dog foods that DO NOT have corn, wheat or soy may help.  As well, feeding beans or cauliflower may also cause issues – so avoid them.  Lots of good exercise is another remedy for the “toots”.  Feed your dog a food that doesn’t have artificial flavorings, additives or preservatives is also a good idea – and there are some supplements that may help digestive health – but consult your Vet before trying these. Fruits like bananas can be good for your dog – but any time you change or add to your dog’s diet, do it gradually.  Some dogs get gas simply because they eat FAST – like Paxton.  He’s always worried that we PONs MIGHT try to hone in on his food. But that could NEVER happen because – my human feeds him FIRST to give him a head start and she is always watching the three of us during mealtime – to be SURE no one even attempts to pilfer.  But he STILL gobbles his food quickly.  There are special bowls to slow dogs down with their eating – but my human knows he would simply dump out the food – and that would be that.



So THAT is it for my topic on Dogs and Flatulence. You NEVER know what our topic will be…I can hardly wait for National Halitosis Day…



©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment