Sunday, January 10, 2016

Eagle Day



January 10.  Save the Eagles Day.  Eagles are large, majestic birds – that once faced extinction.  But with conservation and protection efforts, their numbers have increased and they were even removed from the Endangered Species list in the US in 2007.  For once, humans got it right with their work to protect these amazing birds.  Who knew that there are more than 70 species of eagles around the world?  We have Bald Eagles here in Nova Scotia, and every year there is even a “festival” to celebrate eagles.  Here is the link to learn about this cool event about an hour from where we live.  http://www.eaglens.ca/

My human has seen eagles soaring high above our home on two occasions – but we don’t see them a lot in our area.  And speaking of birds…my poor human keeps standing and looking at her new feeder.  Unfortunately, no birds have found it yet.  She spread some seed on the ground yesterday – hoping that might entice the birds.  None yet.  She’s kind of pathetic standing and staring at the feeder.  They WILL come.  I think.

Yesterday morning we got to go on a longer walk on the public trail – because it was Saturday and it was light out!  Unfortunately we had a BIT of a mishap just at the head of the trail.  You see, Frodo and I go into sniffing overload at the start of the trail.  I mean it is THE spot where everyone walks.  And we get VERY focused on the smells.  And of course, we need to let any subsequent trail walkers know we have been there.  So while I was intently smelling the ground, and my human was juggling leashes, and trying to stay upright on a semi-icy path, Frodo had to “mark” the fact that he was there.  Right on MY head.  “AGGGGHHHHHHHH” my human shouted.  I didn’t care – I mean I was soooo busy sniffing.  I did care, however, when we got home and I was whisked into the tub in the garage.

So otherwise, we are having a relaxing, winter weekend with our human.  And we will continue to be on the lookout for birds – and I’ll also be a BIT more eagle-eyed when it comes to my “surroundings” in the future!

Have a good one!

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment