Thursday, October 1, 2015

And in the news...


October 1.  So let’s see what’s new in dog news.  In British Columbia, Canada, a teenager stabbed a BEAR to keep the bear from hurting his dog.  The boy and the dog escaped unharmed – but there is one cranky bear walking around out there with a sore shoulder.  Authorities are NOT suggesting that this is a good idea.  My human isn’t quite sure WHAT she would do if a bear caught one of us.  I don’t think it’s an issue – we PONs move way too quickly – and any bear would think Pax WAS a bear.  I hope we never really need to find out!



Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, an actor, sadly lost his dog after the puppy ate a poison mushroom.  Mushrooms can be VERY dangerous to us dogs – so it’s best to be careful around them.  My human wouldn’t have to worry about Frodo and I – but Bucket Head will eat anything – so she has to be on the lookout with him.  He’s the guy who eats rotting leaves that fly on the deck.  It’s quite comical to watch my human race out with a broom before we go out – to sweep off any leaves before Pax gets them.  And the falling leaves have JUST started…



Then there was the story of the two dogs in Washington State.  One of the dogs got trapped in a cistern and couldn’t get out for a week.  His buddy stayed with him – he could have just gone home – but he never strayed far.   He eventually helped lead rescuers to the trapped dog.  Both dogs were fine after the ordeal.  I wonder if I would stay if Frodo or Paxton was trapped?  Hmmmmmm.  Yeah.  I probably would.  I’m not so sure they would do the same.  They would probably do the happy dance that I was out of their hair for a while. 



And finally, a couple in Louisiana spent $100,000 to clone their dog Melvin.  A lab in South Korea not only produced one Melvin – they made two.  So this couple have two Melvin look-alikes who apparently are very similar to Melvin - even temperament–wise.  The original Melvin has gone to the Rainbow Bridge – and the couple is even thinking about cloning ANOTHER Melvin.  I’ve talked about cloning before – and the fact that cloned animals often have health issues.  And you cannot predict temperament completely from genes – the environment also plays a huge role.  My human says she would never clone me – even IF she had a spare $100,000 just sitting in a shoebox somewhere.  I mean there can only be ONE Viktor.  She says the WORLD can only handle ONE Viktor.  I think that was a compliment….



Have a great day!



©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment