Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Family Tree


 So a new study just came out that traces the roots of us canines back 15,000 years – and this research says we came from Central Asia – somewhere possibly around Mongolia and Nepal.  I read a bit about it and while all the info is still not 100% definitive, they are learning more and more about our humble beginnings.  The study is cool – it analyzed the DNA of more than 4,500 dogs of 161 breeds and 549 street dogs from 38 countries.  Did you know that 75% of the earth’s one billion dogs are homeless?  They scavenge for food and live outdoors.  Kind of like the Littlest Hobo.  Although I’m not sure that a lot of these wild dogs have as much contact with humans as The Hobo did.  When I’m bad, my human reminds me that I could EASILY become a Hobo.  I know she’s kidding – she could never throw me out.  I think.

To get blood for the DNA study from the street dogs, the scientists reported that it was generally easy to get subjects, if the researchers had food.  No kidding.  Although apparently some of the dogs who live off of the carcasses of fish in small fishing villages were not interested in roast beef. Seriously?  I cannot IMAGINE not wanting roast beef.  Well. I can’t imagine not wanting ANY food.  Except lettuce. 

So that’s our latest history lesson.  Imagine the family tree we could plot back for 15,000 years.

And then we would promptly pee on it. 

Sorry.  I couldn’t resist.

Have a great day!


© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment