Thursday, August 6, 2015

Blog-cation


Summer.  The good things?  Playing ball.  Going for long walks.  Staring longingly at the food on the barbecue. Having my human home all day.

The bad things?  Muggy heat. And for Paxton…bugs.  Big bugs. 

We go through phases of bugs in Nova Scotia.  The spring begins with the dreaded black flies.  Tiny dark things that like to take CHUNKS out of skin.  They are VERY nasty.  They last for a few weeks.  And then the mosquitoes come out.  They don’t bother us canines all that much – but humans – look out after dark.  And now, as we have the full on heat of summer we have the arrival of the dreaded deer flies.  Pesky mid sized creatures that love humans AND dark colored dogs.  Frodo and I are not really bothered by them too much – but poor Paxton – they dive bomb him in DROVES.  When he walks down the trail it is like he has a cloud around him.   My human sprays him with a natural repellant – so he smells like a giant citronella candle after a walk.  Actually, he doesn’t really get a walk – it’s more like a FAST trot – in an effort to keep the bugs off of him.  But the “buggers” are smart – they still follow him.   I wonder if he would wear a light colored coat if he could fool the flies.  But then, I suppose wearing a coat on a hot day is not exactly a great idea.   Poor Pax.  Short walks for him for a little while.

Otherwise, we are enjoying time with our human. We even let her sleep in until 6AM!!!!!  Thoughtful, or what?  OK.  It was raining.  But still – we COULD have woken her.

And since we are having some lazy days, I think it is just about time for a bit of a blog-cation.  Today marks my 316th blog entry.  What began as a little idea about sharing occasional views on my life with humans, has somehow developed into a daily PONtification about all kinds of topics!  And every time I think I will take a break, something new happens – that I just MUST share.  But to keep things interesting – and to keep people from getting bored with some of my more mundane adventures, I think I’ll take a break until September.  UNLESS of course something terribly newsworthy occurs – then I’ll be sure to post my thoughts. You can count on it! 

In the meantime – enjoy August!!! And all you canines – keep training those humans.  I know it’s hard work, but they really are worth the effort!

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment