Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Work Like A Dog Day


August 5.  Today is Work Like A Dog Day.  The saying “work like a dog” apparently came from the fact that once upon a time, we dogs used to work .  A LOT. Besides herding and guarding and hunting, in the olden days dogs also used to do things like draft work.  For example, Bernese Mountain dogs reportedly pulled carts to the market.  Paxton CAN pull a cart.  And he’s actually not that bad.  My human has never entered him a test, though, because he DOES have a mind of his own – and he IS a bit friendly – so she’s fairly certain he would “take his own route” on a test course.  My human failed enough tests with her previous Bernese to know that it is NOT easy.  That Bernese FINALLY did pass the test – and that was her “easy” Bernese.  Paxton is not easy.  I think it’s my influence.  I have trained him well to think for himself.

Along with the saying “work like a dog” – comes the saying “dog tired”.  It was only 150 years ago (which my human can no doubt remember) that we canines assumed a more sedentary role as pampered pets.  Thank GOODNESS I didn’t live back then.  I QUITE enjoy lying on my dog bed, under the fan that my human has running these past few days.  Just for me.  OK.  For me and my “brothers”.  Yes, we quite enjoy our creature comforts…

Excuse me while I go chew a bone and then ask to play fetch.  And I must beg for more treats. And then I’ll go on bunny patrol – such a full “working” day…

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment