Saturday, August 1, 2015

Play Ball Day


August 1.  Today is Play Ball Day. A fabulous day for a PON.  My human remembers the first time she went to my “creator’s” home and she met my relatives.   There she witnessed a group of PONs – most of whom were OBSESSED with retrieving a tennis ball.  COMPLETELY OBSESSED.  So it’s in my genes.  I will retrieve and play ball until I am ready to collapse.  But we can’t use tennis balls in our house.  It is likely Bucket Head will either take one big bite and ruin it - or more likely, he would swallow the thing whole.  So we use retrieving toys instead. Which can also be problematic because my human has THE worst throw anywhere.  I mean she TRIES hard – but a toy inevitably ends up in a tree – or on the roof.  And I run around frantically trying to find the missing toy.  The things I have to put up with.



You know, I actually have a nickname – which also happen to be the name of a professional Baseball player.  His name is Shane Victorino, and even though my human is not really a baseball fan, I have somehow adopted his name.  It’s that thing that human’s do – they create a series of names for us – and then wonder why we never come when they call us.  We don’t KNOW which name to respond to.  Anyway, I am FREQUENTLY called Viktorino.  And get this – Trino for short. And I answer to both.  If treats are  involved.  So between the ball loving relatives and the shared name with a baseball pro, no wonder I love playing ball games.



Anyway, it’s a great day for us canines.  We don’t need fancy iPawds or video games – just give us a ball, and we’re happy.  But then, we’re almost always happy!  Have a good one or should I say, have a ball today!!



©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment