Thursday, October 12, 2017

A purebred rant.



My human saw this interesting label the other day, and she thought it was actually quite good.  The label was “preservation or heritage breeder” of dogs.  It refers to those breeders of purebred dogs who are not in “the business” to make a buck – or to produce puppies just for the sake of producing puppies.  They are conscientious breeders who seek to preserve a breed to meet the standard and characteristics for which the breed was established.  They want to keep the correct temperament and the instincts inherent in the breed.  And they want to do this so future generations can enjoy us wonderful canines.  They are preserving purebreds.

It’s a good way to look at dog breeding – because, let’s face it,  purebred dogs and breeders have taken a bad rap in recent years.  With health issues in many breeds and an overabundance of dogs in shelters (most of which are not purebreds as I understand it) – there has been a real movement to adopt – and NOT to get a purebred.  And while there is nothing wrong with adopting a shelter dog – they deserve good homes – there should also be no shame in promoting the preservation of purebreds either.  Think along the line of Save the Tiger or Save the Whale. If we don't preserve purebreds - there are breeds in danger of disappearing!  Seriously.

And when I talk about purebreds, I am not referring to designer dogs.  Designer dogs are not  purebreds, and generally are not bred with health clearances – or a concern about pedigree.  They are mixed breed dogs – many of whom can be found in shelters.  If you want a doodle/poo/cockamamie dog – get one at a shelter!  But please don’t pay for one.   The breeders of these dogs are NOT preservation breeders – because these dogs are not actually “breeds” that have been around for generations and generations.  Sure – they are absolutely cute and as I said, those dogs in shelters DO deserve good homes.  But if we want to talk about reducing the canine population in shelters, we should start with the designer dogs.    We don’t NEED MORE "new" breeds - like designer dogs.  But we DO need to preserve the breeds we have.

So there.  That’s MY soapbox statement for today.  Complaints can be sent to my human – she’s the one who gave me the idea for this blog.  And I’ll be wearing my flame retardant suit.

Have a good one.  Peace and paws up!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog today, Viktor. I had friends ? who were very upset when I bought my purebred Wheaten and purebred PON. They tried to fill me with guilt over not choosing a shelter dog. And dont get me started on high-priced mixed breed designer dogs!

    ReplyDelete