Saturday, October 21, 2017

Failure? Or not...





The last few days I have mentioned dogs that have a job to do.  Like those who help individuals with physical or mental health challenges.  Then we also have dogs who work in the military or with the police.  Some of these dogs are detection dogs - who sniff out drugs, contraband and explosives.  I read the following article about Lulu.  She was in training with the CIA to learn to detect explosives.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41679118

In the article, you see that Lulu failed the program.  She isn't going to make it as a detection dog.  Detection dogs work very hard - and are always on call.  Their work is amazing.  And it's too bad when dogs don't make the grade - but they no doubt end up in great homes.  But then I started thinking....maybe Lulu wasn't REALLY bad at sniffing out bombs.   MAYBE she was really SMART and she realized that the potential for being blown into bits was quite high - so she preferred the life of a household guard dog - like us- who lounge around all day, barking at the sound of the oil truck or a delivery man or blowing leaves.  Maybe Lulu was a LOT smarter than she is being given credit for...

I'm not sure I would want the job of an explosive detection dog.  I mean I admire those dogs - but count me out. On the OTHER hand, I would make an excellent airport detection dog.  But not for drugs.  I don't care about that. What I would LOVE to do is detect illegal meat products brought into the country.   I bet I could get that job with MINIMAL training.  I can detect dog treats in a coat pocket from 20 yards away.  Wonder what the salary is like for the job...

Well, it's Saturday so you know what that means - EXTRA LONG WALKS!!!  Gotta go!

Have a good one!  Peace and paws up!


No comments:

Post a Comment