Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Chew. Faster please.




So as I've mentioned before, Elroy has a number of Paxisms.   But the one that really impacts me is his chewing.  And chewing.  I'm not just talking about things like shoes and table legs.  I'm talking about edible things.

Paxton was notorious for slow chewing.  Which made training him a bit of a challenge. He would be given a treat reward, the size of a pea, and he would chew it for 30 seconds.  Unlike us PONs, who basically inhale treats and are quickly ready for the next exercise, so we can inhale another treat.  Paxton would also chew things like blueberries.  I guess he was savoring the flavor.

Anyway, yesterday we ran out of bananas.  We each get some banana after we have our breakfast.  And the distribution is always the same:  Frodo, Viktor, Elroy.  It's the whole seniority thing.  Elroy has finally figured out how to eat bananas FAIRLY quickly - but he still doesn't have the inhale method down just yet.  And then yesterday, because we were out of bananas, my human gave us pieces of apple.  Now THAT was entertaining. While Frodo and I DO chew apples a bit, we ARE quick.  But not the FG.  He has to take his small piece of apple and take it under the dining room table.  Where he studies it and then chews it.  And chews it.  And chews it.  All the while Frodo and I are getting more pieces of apple.  It got to the point that my human had to stop and wait for him - she felt badly because we were getting more than he was.  It was fine with me...but I guess it REALLY wasn't fair.  So we waited.  While he finished each piece.  It was painful.

For a guy who is so busy and rarely sits still, he hasn't coordinated that with his chewing. 
I really do have to work on training him...

No comments:

Post a Comment