Friday, November 4, 2016

Watch out for pigs



November 4.  Did you know that on this day in 1929, Richard Byrd and Laurence McKinley Gould began a 2 1/2 month journey to explore the interior of Antarctica?  Well now you know.  And of course, they did their 1500 mile journey on dog sled. Dogs actually arrived in Antarctica back in 1889.  They were THE mode of transportation - and they actually provided more than that.  According to one source - during a bad blizzard back in 1889,  men brought their dogs into their tents for warmth.  In that sometimes hostile environment, man and dog depended on each other for survival.  Just like in our household.  We know our human would be lost without us.  And vice versa.

In 1994, the last dog was removed from Antarctica because of an environmental ruling that any "non-native" species be removed to prevent the possible spread of diseases.  OK.  I get that.  But hello - humans are still there.  Just sayin'.  Mind you, I'm not so sure I want to visit Antarctica.  I'm thinking it's even colder than Nova Scotia in the winter.  And no doubt I would be subjected to wearing my spandex snowsuit and boots.  No thanks.  Oh - lest anyone THINK we already have snow in the Great White North - the photo was taken last winter.  Personally, I'm hoping for a GREEN Christmas!

Speaking of which, it's almost time to start my Christmas list.  I don't need to ask for a puppy this time.  So now I'm thinking about a kitten.  Or a pot bellied pig.  I got THAT idea because there was a story in the news this week from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia about a pot bellied pig.  It seems the local police had to apprehend an escaped  pig in a residential neighborhood.  The pig's name was Kevin Bacon.  And no - I didn't make that up.  But Kevin was a friendly, easy-going pig - so the capture was quite uneventful - and he was returned to his home.  That got me thinking we should get one.  That.  Or a kitten.  Or a goat.  Just IMAGINE the stories I would have...

Anyway - it's FRIDAY!  Stay warm.  Stay dry.  And watch out for pigs.  Have a great one!



No comments:

Post a Comment