Thursday, March 9, 2017

Downer dog...







Well it was back to the vet last night for some blood work.  Looks like my au naturel approach to diet to combat these seizures (along with my medication) isn't exactly working just yet.  I hate to share this, as I hate to be downer dog, but I had two more seizures - on Monday and Tuesday.  Same description, short - around a minute.  In the middle of the night.  And isn't that the WORST time to be sick?  Everything seems gloomier when you are sick in the dark of night.   Otherwise- during the light of day, I'm happy, have a great appetite, my weight is the same, and I have TONS of energy.  So we need to figure out what to do next.  As my human understands from her on-line veterinary degree, this can take time to work out.  She was also in communication via email with a very helpful vet who has loads of experience with dogs and epilepsy - and diet. Apparently seizures can actually increase during the winter months - and when I think back, they really ramped up again starting in January.  So they are going to look at my blood work and compare it to my results when this started back in August.  The good news is that with Big Brother my human can check on me when she is at work - and thankfully I haven't had any when she wasn't home.  

In other not-so-great news we have another problem here.  The moles have continued to make our lawn look like a construction site.  I mean a SERIOUS construction site - like they are going to build a highway.  Actually, they DO have a highway - it's a series of tunnels.  ALL over the lawn.  In the fall my human chose to ignore the initial excavation.  She figured they would go away during the winter.  Seems the little pests were simply settling in for an active spring - and as the snow melts, the ground continues to erupt every day.  She called a number of pest control companies.  Most do not list moles as the vermin they control - you have mice, and rats, and wasps, and raccoons, and ants - but hardly any list moles.  Probably because when you look up mole control, you see that they are very difficult to control.  And most companies do not answer their calls.  She FINALLY got a hold of a guy named Gary - who, when he heard it was moles, said he would call my human back.  He was probably looking up how to control moles.  He actually did call her back - it seems trapping is the only way.  Either that or pour gasoline down the tunnels, and light them.  Just kidding - although my human DID read that some guy did that and blew up his lawn.  She's about ready to try it.  And she did have another idea.  Ferret poop.  Yes - you read that correctly.  I guess ferrets are the natural enemies for moles (and rats and mice) so just the presence of their poop will send the little guys packing.  So my human contacted some local ferret lovers association.  And requested poop.  Honestly - I couldn't make this stuff up.  Surprise. No one has returned her call.  In the meantime, she thought she would put some dog poop in a tunnel to see if that would send the buggers looking for a new lawn to destroy.  I guess moles don't consider us dogs much of an enemy.  She ended up with some poop on her boots as she stomped down the earth and the next day there were MORE tunnels.  We all watched the proceedings with great interest.

In the good news department, the clocks change this weekend, so while we will loose an hour of sleep, the days are getting longer and we are seeing more SUN!  Time for longer  walks in the morning!  And more time to play outdoors after work.  And that is HUGE!!!!!  Who doesn't like more time to play?   Even if it means jumping over tunnels to retrieve our toys.

Have a good one!





1 comment: