Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Rescue.





Baaaaaaa.     It's March 1.  Time to think SPRING.   In weather lore, they say that if March "comes in like a lion it will go out like a lamb".  Well,  no lions to be seen today - we definitely have sheep-like weather, so I am hoping that we will NOT see the reverse in the forecast.  We still DO have snow in areas, as can clearly be seen in the photo, but we had LOTS of rain the other night so the piles are going down and the sidewalks are CLEAR. Mind you, I'm not so sure we should believe any more weather forecasting having to do with animals - remember the beaver-wanna-be -the groundhog's forecast.  Just after he made his prognostication for an early spring, we were hit with several blizzards. 
There's still a warrant out for him.

So.   You've heard of rescue organizations for dogs.  And cats.  And circus animals.  But have you heard of a rescue for blueberries?  Or cauliflower?  It seems that a local Nova Scotian company is doing just that.  They basically take the fruits and veggies that don't make it to stores because they have some "imperfection" that would make them undesirable for sale.  Humans like to buy food that doesn't have marks on it.  Not us canines.  We don't care WHAT it looks like.  And clearly, we will eat LOTS of things that humans don't even want to touch, let alone EAT.  Anyway, this company is taking the blemished fruits and veggies, and making them into "high protein mixers and toppers" for pet food!!!!  They are even using stuff like lobster shells.  Is that brilliant or what?  Instead of making this otherwise good produce into compost, they are using it in another way.  Wish I had thought of it.  That's even a better idea than my pet snowshoe concept.

I had my first meal of raw last night.  I wish I could tell you that it tasted yummy, but I inhaled it so quickly, I'm not even sure.  And you should have seen the LOOKS from Einstein and the FG.  Jealousy with a capital "J"!!

Well, time to go and see if I can find any lambs.  Or maybe some spring bunnies....

Have a good one!



No comments:

Post a Comment