Sunday, March 26, 2017

The neighbors.



Today is Sunday March 26 - and it's the last Sunday in March.  And, according to the crazy calendar, is it Neighbor Day.  Although we can't see any of our neighbors' homes from our house - they are not THAT far away.  And we are very lucky that we have nice neighbors.  The neighbors on our road get together for social events - although I SHOULD point out that we dogs aren't generally invited.  I'm thinking that even if we WERE - my human wouldn't take us.  I mean people don't want to have to guard the cheese tray all night.  And mind you, my human DOES enjoy an evening off from us every now and then. When we let her.  Like once every 6 months.

We have some NEW neighbors who moved in around Christmas time and they have a Labrador Retriever named Hudson.  My human has met them - but we canines have not yet had the pleasure.  Well at least TWO of us haven't.  You see, the other day we were all hanging out in the backyard and preparing to take a walk to the lake.  When suddenly, Frodo put his nose to the ground, and he was G-O-N-E.  He vanished.  My human figured he would emerge from the woods - but he didn't.  And for a CHANGE, I didn't go.  The FG was on a leash so he couldn't join the escape.  The whole thing was odd, because as we know, Einstein is the GOOD dog and he generally does NOT take off around our property.  My human called.  And waited.  And called.  And waited.  She put me and the FG in the house and took one of the trails, that are on our property, down to the lake.  No sign of him - she was looking for footprints in the snow.  She went back to the house hoping he had returned.  Nope.  She was starting to worry a BIT as about 10 minutes had passed.  She took a different trail on our property down to the lake.  No sign of him.  She walked up to the road.  No sign of him. She walked back to the house.  No sign of him.  All the time she was calling him. And then she heard barking.  Einstein barking.  AND another dog barking. And it was coming from the direction of the new neighbors' house.  So my human cut through another neighbors' property and came through the back of the new neighbors' yard.  And the new neighbor came out on his deck.  My human asked if he had seen a shaggy dog and indeed he had - it seems Einstein went right up on their deck and was barking at Hudson through the glass door.  My human didn't dare ask if he peed on anything - she was already embarrassed enough.  But no doubt he christened their deck.  It's an Einstein thing to do.  She apologized that he had been there but the neighbor said it was no problem and he pointed my human in the direction of the wayward hound.  Long story short, she still ended up searching for him for about 10 minutes, but he actually eventually beat her back to the house.  When she saw him he just shrugged his shoulders, even though he could see the steam coming out of her ears.  He waltzed into the house when she opened the door.

So now I think that the FG and I will have to go up and say hello too.  The first chance we get.  It's the neighborly thing to do.  But my human warned us we are NOT allowed to go on the neighbors' property - unless we are invited AND she is with us.  Because she knows that if Einstein didn't christen their deck, rest assured, you know I would be happy to do it.  My human says that dogs were probably the underlying inspiration for the quote "good fences make good neighbors."  Well - certainly in our case...

Anyway, I hope you have a fabulously, neighborly day! 

2 comments: