Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Scrabble




On this day in 1971, the first British National Scrabble competition was staged in London. The game was actually invented  in the 1940's by Alfred Mosher Butts, an American architect, but it didn't really take off in popularity until the 1950's when Macy's department store began to stock the board game.  To help you play the game, I thought I would provide a few "dog" words for you - from 4 letters to 8 letters.  And of course, I will provide definitions - and my OWN interpretation to help you remember them!


Here we go.

dogy.  (n). A motherless calf in a herd of cattle.  Think of me herding.  Actually, don't think of me herding.  Because you may remember what happened when we tried me with sheep.  I sat suspended in the pen.  But one calf I could probably manage.  At least I could LOOK at him.

doggo.   (adv). remain motionless and quiet to escape detection.  This is what we do when we know we are about to be groomed.  We hide.  It doesn't usually work.  She always finds us....

dogged (adj).  having or showing tenacity and persistence.  This describes my constant attempts to get into the food bin in the garage... I am tenacious in my attempts.

doggery.  (n).  a place where liquor is sold; a saloon or bar. This is where my needs to go after a week with us....

dogeared  (adj).  a paper object with worn or battered edges.  Our newspaper often ends up dogeared after the FG carries it in.

There are LOTS more words containing the word dog - but I wanted to give just a few to get started.  And of course, given that this house is owned by two PONs and Picard - the PERFECT 8-letter word is SHEEPDOG - for at least 15points!

Have a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment