Saturday, February 4, 2017

Dogs. And cats.



So I mentioned the other day that the big dog show - Westminster - is scheduled soon.  And as happens every year, there will be new breeds introduced that have recently been recognized by the AKC.  As you may recall, last year one of the new breeds was the Berger Picard!  And that became a new breed in our household as well.  This year there are three new breeds - the Sloughi, also known as the Arabian greyhound, which was originally bred for hunting big game; the American hairless terrier - great for those with allergies -IF you like the look of a naked dog and the oh-so-cute Pumi, the Hungarian herding terrier - with a curly coat and stand-up ears that bend at the tips.  And lest anyone think that another rare breed is coming to this house - the answer is NO.  PONs and Picards are all the rarity we need.

But the REAL news is the "other" addition at Westminster.  I'm not talking about agility - that's been happening for a few years now. Nope - I'm talking about something that shocked me. There will be 40 breeds of CATS at the show.  Yup.  Cats.  After 141 years of an all dog competition, cats will join in this year.  The cats will be on exhibition and will even have their own agility display.  I vote that they put the cats and dogs TOGETHER for the agility part.  Can't you just see some sighthound racing through a tunnel after Mr. Pretty Kitty.  Now THAT would be entertaining. 

I was initially not sure if I liked the idea of cats at Westminster.  I mean - it's breaking with tradition.  But you know, in this day and age of "biases" against certain groups of people, I'm thinking maybe putting us cats and dogs together would be a good lesson for humans.  Think about it.  If WE can get along - shouldn't humans be able to get along?  So I say, bring on the cats!  And heck - throw in some bunnies too!

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment