Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Ted



February 15.  On this day in 1903, the first Teddy Bear was reportedly introduced in the US by a company owned by Morris & Rose Michtom and simultaneously in Germany by a company called Steiff.  The name is said to have come from President Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt.  The story is that Roosevelt was out on a hunting trip and when some of his hunting companions tied a bear to a tree, and told him to shoot it, he refused to do so.  Political cartoonists captured the scene - and Morris Michtom decided to create a bear to mark the event.  Long story short, Teddy Bears became an instant hit. 

My human used to collect bears, but no longer does. She still has a few, that come out of their den (closet) to appear under the Christmas tree each year.  She also has a small collection of stuffed Bernese Mountain Dogs.  You may recall the time she placed one of those Bernese in another room, and when I ran in, it scared the life out of me.  She decided to try that trick again the other day - just to see what Elroy would do.  The problem was, she set two stuffed Bernese on the floor downstairs, and then we ALL went down.  So of course, Frodo and I already know they are stuffed - so we ran to attack them.  And Elroy, seeing the frenzy, joined right in.  There was my human trying to wrestle two big stuffed toys from three maniacal canines.  Trying to rip their legs off.  Guess that wasn't such a bright idea.  She couldn't even get a photo - we were too crazed.

My human is amazed at dogs who adore their stuffed toys and carry them around.  Not us.  She has even purchased those crazy, "indestructible" versions made of a tough, durable fabric.  Tough for a chihuahua maybe - but nobody in this house.  I've said it before - we're big into dissection.

My human was off yesterday again - because of the weather.  It actually wasn't bad yesterday - it had stopped snowing - but it was blowing and roads needed to be cleared. So we huddled by the fire while my human read her book drinking hot chocolate.  Sure we did.  We made her take us out 65 times.  And then dry us off 65 times.  Well - not really - but she DID have to wipe the floor 65 times after we came in.   She also had to shovel a HUGE pile of snow up by the road that was left by the plow.  I thought I heard her mumble at one point that going to work is more relaxing.  She's such a joker.

Oh and I almost forgot - congratulations to the German Shepherd who won Best In Show at Westminster last night.  If a PON or Picard couldn't win, at least it was a dog from the herding group.  Two years ago, the winner got to meet Donald Trump after the show.  All kinds of comments come to mind - but since I know that Big Brother is watching, I'll bite my tongue on that one.

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful day!  Stay warm, safe and dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment