Monday, July 10, 2017

Open the jar






So what's new in dog research... Well a new study has come out in the journal Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews which looked at social evaluation of humans by dogs.  Specifically, they wanted to see how dogs would react to individuals who refused to help the dog's owner.  It was quite interesting. Dogs watched as their owner asked someone for help in opening a jar.  In one situation, the owner was helped, and the dogs apparently approved.  In two other situations, the person did not help the owner, but the dogs didn't seem to mind.  But when the person blatantly refused to help the owner, the dogs were NOT impressed.  And they did not forget.  When they were later offered treats by the researchers who refused to help, the dogs would NOT take the treat.  So we dogs are concerned about our owners - and we do not forget people who are not nice to them.  

I think it's a cool study.  You humans KNOW that we dogs have your back and we care about you.  LOTS.  And it makes sense that we wouldn't like someone who is not nice to you.  But honestly, I'm just a TINY bit concerned about what would happen if the PONs in this household were in this study.  Well, maybe not Einstein - but as for me....treat refusal is something I can't even IMAGINE.  The FG is not as crazy a chow hound, so I can see him refusing.  And Einstein, well he would no doubt bark and voice his disapproval.  But me....OK.  OK.  I would refuse the treat.  It's the right thing to do.  Besides, my human would then treat me for being a good dog.  So I still get the treat.  Phew.  Ethical dilemma solved.

Have a good one!  And don't refuse to open someone's jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment