Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Christmas Countdown. The Advent Calendar.


December 2.  The countdown to Christmas has begun.  Mind you, I’ve been counting down in MY mind since September.  But I must confess, I am just a BIT ticked off with my human.  I want to know WHERE the dog Advent Calendar is.  Seriously. They make dog Advent Calendars.  With a little treat for each day.  There is even a video on-line that shows you how to make one – if you can’t find one in a store.  So I want to know where OUR calendar is?!



Advent Calendars for humans date back to the mid 1800’s – with the first printed version, that had little doors, made in the early 20th century.   My human always had an Advent Calendar when she was a kid – but it didn’t have treats and goodies like they do nowadays.  Back in the olden days, her calendars revealed a little picture each day– with the door on the 24th opening to reveal Baby Jesus and the manger.



I actually looked into the Advent Calendar sales in general….and you know – more calendars with pet treats are sold than with pictures of Baby Jesus.   I’m not sure THAT is such a good thing.  I’m all about the treats – but let’s not forget WHY we are counting down the days!  A good friend sent my human a digital version which is quite lovely.  We'll see what happens on the 24th!



Now I SUPPOSE the other problem with a dog Advent Calendar filled with treats would be in selecting WHO would get to open the door.  I SUPPOSE we could take turns.  And heaven forbid the calendar was left somewhere accessible if my human wasn’t home – we would be fast-forwarding the days leading up to Christmas in 0.38 seconds. 



Anyway, we don’t HAVE a calendar so I don’t need to worry about it.  But I DO need to start thinking about those Christmas cards….





©   Linda Wozniak 

No comments:

Post a Comment