Sunday, December 13, 2015

Dear Santa. I want a goat.


OK.  I have decided what is going to the TOP of my list for Santa.  A goat.  Yes.  I WANT a goat.  I’ve been watching some videos on-line with baby goats – and those things are crazier than me.  So I REALLY want one.  Check out this video.  


Aren’t they cute?  And they jump around JUST LIKE ME!!!!  I think a goat would be great fun – AND my human wouldn’t have to mow the lawn in the summer.  So really, this is a win-win idea.  I get a playmate who is more fun than Frodo or Paxton and the gardening is done.   Actually, if we got MORE than one, I could herd them.  OK – that argument may be stretching things a bit – we remember what happened when I met sheep.   Still – the lawn care argument is good.  Mind you, I’m not sure who would pick up those “goat balls…”  

In some Scandinavian countries, the Yule Goat is actually a Christmas symbol and tradition.  While the Yule Goat’s origins date WAY back to early Christian times,   from the 17th to early 20th centuries, people would even dress up like Yule Goats and go visiting from house to house, often playing pranks.  At some point, the Yule Goat became the bearer of gifts – and he was later replaced by Father Christmas.  Santa came along later – and he would ride on the Yule Goat.  There are still images of the Yule Goat today – often seen as ornaments made of straw.  In some towns in Sweden, a giant straw Yule Goat is erected during the holidays.

And just when I thought I was the only one who wanted a goat for Christmas – what do I find but an ALBUM that has just come out with goats singing Christmas carols.  I am NOT kidding (pun intended).  Check this out:


 After listening to the songs, I think I MAY have a hard time convincing my human about this goat idea.  Mind you – it’s not REALLY up to her – it’s SANTA I’m asking.  So we’ll see….

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment