Friday, December 18, 2015

There's no need to fear...Underdog is here.


December 18. According to the Crazy Holiday calendar, today is Underdog Day.   An underdog, by definition, is someone who is competing and is thought to have little chance of winning the competition.  The term actually started in the late 19th century, referring to dogs who lost in fights. That’s a gloomy thought.



When my human was a kid, she used to watch a cartoon on Saturday mornings called Underdog.  He was a superhero of sorts.  Some of you MAY remember him:




TECHNICALLY, I SHOULD be the underdog in our household because I AM the youngest.  But I TRY my best to be TOP DOG , which as we all know, usually gets me in trouble.  But you know, people often root for an underdog. So really, being an underdog is not necessarily a BAD thing.  It’s all in how you look at things.  When underdogs win, everyone is happy.  Underdogs have to fight and work hard and they are often motivated.  As someone once said, “underdogs have nothing to lose and everything to gain.” 



So I GUESS maybe it's OK if I AM the underdog.  So I will wear my title as underdog with pride, striving to be the best I can be…. I will behave.  And I will be kind.  I will be brave.  And I will share.  OK.  Maybe not share. But I will proudly use the words of that cartoon Underdog:  There's no need to fear-- Underdog is here!



Now the big question – where can I find a superhero cape?



©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment