Saturday, December 5, 2015

Krampus Day


December 5.  The day before St. Nicholas day.  And today is also called Krampus Day.  And who is Krampus?  Well.  He is the evil counterpart to good Saint Nick.  Krampus is the Christmas Devil.  St. Nick rewards GOOD people.  And Krampus punishes BAD people! He’s also known as Black Peter.  He’s a scary looking devil figure. Krampusnaught, or the night before St. Nick’s Day is celebrated in many European countries – including Austria, Italy, Finland and France.  And who knew – it is also celebrated in places in the US and even in Canada.

Personally, I do not like the look of the devil guy.  He reportedly hits bad people with switches and chains before he drags them off to a VERY hot locale.  Honestly – who would want to celebrate this guy? You humans really are strange.

MANY years ago, my human was at a flea market in Vienna, Austria.  And she came across an odd postcard.  Did I ever mention she collects old holiday postcards?  And old dog postcards?  Of course she does.  Anyway she saw this card and brought it – she thought it was for Halloween.  Wrongo – it’s a Krampus card.  That’s when she learned about Krampus.

 So now I’m just a TINY bit stressed that this guy will show up today.  Let’s face it – I’m not ALWAYS the best behaved dog there is…..But REALLY – overall I AM pretty sweet.  I told Frodo that if Krampus comes to get me, Frodo should bite him.  Frodo said I’m on my own.  And so did Pax.

So paws crossed he doesn’t show up.  I PROMISE to behave.  Really I do.  At least for today…..

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment