Saturday, May 7, 2016

Monkey see...


 So my human finds it fascinating how much we dogs learn from one another.  She was thinking about this a LOT in the past week, as we have been having a LOT of rain.  You see, when I was in my younger years (like when I was a year old), I didn't care at ALL about the rain.  Paxton didn't either - so I followed his lead.  But over the last two or so years, I have REALLY started to follow Frodo's lead.  Case in point...it was raining yesterday morning at 5AM when my human took us out for our morning walk.  Once upon a time, I would not have cared about the weather.  At all.  Frodo, on the other hand, as we know, despises the rain.  And now I have decided to TOTALLY follow HIS lead.  I mean TOTALLY.  My human found herself walking down a dark road, in the rain, with TWO shaggy canines towing WELL behind her.  It was like walking TWO forty lb bags of potatoes.  She actually had to laugh at one point - the sight is SO pitiful.  Someone should video the death march.  

And then when she gets home from work, and we run down our trail to the lake, if there are ANY puddles, we BOTH plot our route so to avoid them.  Frodo started this circuitous water hopping - and now I do it too!

I have also started to run and hide if I think that I am about to be groomed.  Now I NEVER used to avoid grooming - I mean all you have to do is lie there and you get treats - it's a pretty easy job.  But Mr. Grooming Drama King has taught me well - so now I hide when it's my turn.

My human is praying that I don't start Frodo's incessant morning singing routine.  Or his less-than-hospitable barking when he sees a neighbor.  She WOULD like me to follow some of his obedience heel work, but she figures that is not likely.  He's too slow for me.  And it is unlikely he will EVER follow ME in my bunny chasing routine - it would mean getting dirty and wet in the woods.  

So you humans - remember we dogs are NOT monkeys but we DO follow the adage - Monkey see, monkey do. And although we DO have our OWN personalities, we DO learn from one another.    Just IMAGINE what a new puppy would learn from me... It's actually a bit scary, isn't it?  But no - my human hasn't even decided on a puppy yet - but when we DO get one - just THINK - it will be a CLONE of me- behavior-wise!!!  

Now.  I just need to get my human moving on this puppy thing...And I wonder if the puppy will have his own blog...

©  Linda Wozniak



 


No comments:

Post a Comment