Friday, February 12, 2016

Call me Ziven. Or Izak. Or Cocoa....


February 13.  According to the Crazy Calendar, today is Get a Different Name Day.  Which is timely given that my human’s mother is visiting.  I have talked about this before – for SOME reason, she thinks my name should be Cocoa.  And that’s what she calls me.  She’ll be doling out the banana pieces in order of age.  “First Paxton” she says as she gives the big guy his piece.  “Now Frodo – and be NICE” she scolds as he tries to take her fingers off along with the banana.  “And now….” she hesitates, “Cocoa…I mean Viktor.”

She doesn’t know why she calls me Cocoa.  She has never had a dog named Cocoa – but that’s who I am in her eyes.  She can call me ANYTHING – as long as there are treats involved.

I’ve talked before about how humans agonize over a name for us and then make up a VARIETY of OTHER names as well.  I’m Viktor, Vik, Baby V, Viktorino, and Trino.  Is it any wonder I don’t come when called?  Yeah – THAT’S the reason why.  If I were going to change my name, I have already talked about using Alvin.  Like the Chipmunk.  I could definitely be an Alvin. Or as you may recall, I also liked Balthazar.

Or...let’s look up some Polish names –and their meanings…
  • I could be…Arek- which means “The exalted one”.  No – that would be better for Professor Frodo.   
  • Cyryl which means “Lordly”.  Not a chance.   
  • Dobry which means “good”.  Who am I kidding?  
  • Izak which means “laughter.”  Now that’s not bad.   
  • Piotr which means “rock.”  Sometimes my human says I act like I have rocks in my head.  Nah.   
  • Ulryk – “world ruler.”  I like the sounds of that….
  • Wiktor means the “conqueror.”  Which is basically my current name.  So skip that.   
  • Ziven means “vigourous or alive.”  That works.   
So let’s see – I like either Izak, Ulryk or Ziven. 

Heck, maybe I’ll just alternate names.  One day I’ll be Izak.  The next I’ll be Ulryk.    I mean that’s what happens around here all the time any way.  The bottom line – I’ll go by any name if food is involved and if there is no food, it doesn’t matter – I automatically have temporary name deafness or what I call namenesia.  Hearing loss, name identification and treats are closely linked.  Trust me, I know ALL about it.

So it’s Ziven signing off for today.  Have a great Saturday!

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment