Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Rabbit -1. PON- 0.


OK.  I didn’t want to tell this story, but my human said I had to tell it.  So here goes.  This actually happened Sunday morning – but George Washington upstaged me yesterday so now you have my tale.

On Saturday night it POURED rain.  Except for the piles left by the plow guy, our snow is gone.  Pretty different from last winter – when I look back at my blog.  THANK goodness.  We know winter isn’t over – but the forecast for the next week looks OK, so every week without a blizzard is a week closer to Spring!  But I digress…

So Sunday morning, although the rain had stopped, it was VERY wet outside.  My human decided that instead of a walk up the road, we would all go for a quick run on our trail.  Frodo looked at her as if she had two heads because it meant he had to walk on some wet grass.  He begrudgingly trudged along.  Paxton was on a leash – he has not been allowed freedom since that late night trip to the emergency clinic last week.  Poor bugger.  That’s what he gets for eating dead grass.

So we all headed out and within 2 minutes, I had dashed off in the woods.  Followed by Frodo.  My human could hear me running around – I was the only one wearing a bell.  My human and Paxton came to a cross-path and waited for Frodo and me.  Frodo QUICKLY appeared – he realized it was extra wet in the woods, and he wanted NOTHING of my game.  So the three of them stood waiting for me.  They could hear where I was – my bell was ringing and ringing.  And as they stood there waiting, out of the woods and onto the path hopped a small white rabbit.  They watched him come out, slowly hop across the path and into the woods on the other side.  My human quickly said to Frodo “LEAVE it” – as she knew he had seen the bunny.  He took two steps forward and stopped.  He wasn’t going back into those wet woods.

My human fully expected me to come dashing out after the bunny.  Nope.  I was still following his round-about trail in the woods.  I finally emerged, wet, and with a coat full of sticks and dirt.  I had lost the scent – and my human quickly redirected me down the path – away from the bunny trail. 

Now keep in mind, I never SAW the bunny – so it's the other three who are claiming this happened.   If I were telling the story, I would say he jumped into a deep hole, and I just decided to leave him there.  And maybe that DID happen.  Seriously – there COULD have been two bunnies.  As if I EVER would have left that hole.

Anyway.  The bunny won THIS time.  Of course, my human HAD to take a photo of wet me.  I sat for the photo and this was my only moment of gloating.  I sat for the photo and so did Paxton.  Frodo refused.  The grass was wet.  So only two of us got treats.  Mind you, Frodo got a whole handful when he DIDN’T go after the bunny. 

And speaking of bunnies…good heavens – it’s almost time for those horrid rabbit ears again.  Unless we can find them first…

Have a great day!

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment