Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Making sense of scents


So my excellent behavior at scent class continues.  OK. Maybe “excellent” is stretching things a bit – but I have been pretty well behaved.  It was cool this week – because the instructor tried to TRICK us.  And it worked for a few minutes – and then we all figured out what he was doing.

So far, we have been searching for treats in big plastic boxes.  First the boxes were open, then the boxes had big holes in the lid, and then little holes.  But this week, he put the treats under some OTHER objects – like small purses.  He also had tin cans in the line up too.  My human could have told him that purses shouldn’t be a big problem for me – I’m ALWAYS trying to see if she has treats in her purse.  But I must confess, the first time he put treats under the purse, we all ignored it!  We were so used to finding treats in the boxes –  we went to the boxes first.  We couldn’t BELIEVE there were no treats in there.  THEN we figured out we really needed to USE our noses and we all caught on.  Because I have a good memory, I also tend to go to the last place I found a treat.  In that case I’m not really using my nose.  Just my brain.  I have to remember to use BOTH.  It makes sense that class is getting harder.  Pun intended.

We have one more week in this set of classes.  I hope there is no final exam.  I get stressed for tests.  Just kidding.  Nothing really stresses me.  Except when I lose the bunny’s scent on the trail…

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment