Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Groundhog Day 2016


February 2.  The infamous Groundhog Day.  Celebrated across North America,  the first official reference to Groundhog Day in the US  was back in 1841, in Pennsylvania.  Some say it was connected to another holiday on the 2nd of February - Candlemas – which is a Catholic holiday that is 40 days after Christmas.  Candlemas is also known as Crepes Day or Pancake Day.  According to German belief, on Candlemas,  if a groundhog emerges from his den and sees his shadow, he runs back into his den for another 6 weeks of winter napping.  If he doesn’t see his shadow, there will be an early spring.  There are a bunch of these weather prognosticating rodents all over North America – and we even have our very own guy here in Nova Scotia - Shubenacadie Sam.   Last year, the furry fella said – surprise, surprise – we would have 6 more weeks of wintery weather.  And if you recall my stories about our luge run driveway last year, he was correct.  Now since I am writing this EARLY in the morning – and it’s still dark outside, Sam has not come out yet to check out the skies.   I hope it is cloudy – so the turf dwelling oversized chipmunk stays outside and doesn’t return to his den.  I’m a bit worried because the meteorologists are predicting a mainly sunny day today.  But then, we KNOW how often THOSE guys are right.

You know, PONs are just as good as the chubby rodent at predicting the weather.  If you open the front door, and we won’t go out, it’s raining.  And we do that with 100% accuracy.  They should name a day after us.

I’ll let you know tomorrow what the forecast will be.  Paws crossed for an early spring….

Oh – and scent class was cancelled last night – so no report this week about my outstanding skills.  Next week.

©  Linda Wozniak

2 comments:

  1. Viktor, I would like the groundhog to predict a longer winter. Here in Ottawa we have not had much snow and I really miss it. Winter is the BEST time of year!! I love to bury my face in the snow and to eat it until my belly is full! Sticks taste great at this time of year too. I hope you are having lots of fun in all of your snow! My Mom loves to look at your Mom's photos. Love, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jack. You should just come to Nova Scotia. We've had JUST enough snow this year. But if the warm temperatures that we have had the past few days keep up, our yard will no longer be a winter wonderland - more like a muddy mess! Glad you enjoy our antics - and our human's crazy pup-arazzzi photos! Have a great day! Viktor. The PON.

    ReplyDelete