Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Paczki Day!!!


February 9.  Well. We have lots of names for today.  Shrove Tuesday.  Fat Tuesday.  Pancake Tuesday.  Mardi Gras.  The reason for all these names is basically the same - to celebrate the last binge that humans have before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday.  So you party.  You eat pancakes.  But for ME – the best name for today is Paczki Day!  And for those non-Polish readers – paczki (pronounced kind of like POONCH-KEY) are Polish donuts.  And they are EXTREMELY yummy.  They often come filled with jelly – and my human thinks her grandmother made the BEST paczki ever.  Historically, people used to use up all the ingredients they were supposed to avoid during lent – lard, sugar, eggs…and they made paczki. In Poland, Paczki Day is actually celebrated the Thursday before Ash Wednesday – which really is a better idea – because you have more days to eat those donuts!

In the US, many cities that have lots of Polish immigrants, have Paczki celebrations.  The reported record for paczki eating is 22 in ten minutes.  Obviously it wasn’t a PON who competed – I am SURE I could consume more than 22. 

If you want to see some paczki – check out this short clip.  My human was drooling like Paxton after she watched it:


Now I just need to figure out what I will give up for Lent…It doesn’t HAVE to be food…. Hmmmm….I KNOW!  I’ll give up grooming.  This is kind of like New Year’s Resolutions all over again.  And it makes sense – because by now, most humans have probably given up their resolutions.  So this is their second chance to be good.  And don’t I know about second chances…third chances….

Anyway - today, have a donut and celebrate on me!  And don’t give those 425 calories a second thought!  I certainly won’t!

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment