Friday, September 2, 2016

Blueberries...and dog shows



Today is September 2.  And everyone knows what day that is!  It's National Blueberry Popsicle Day.  Seriously.  As I've said before - I don't make these up.  I guess it's a day to celebrate a yummy summertime treat...as we quickly approach the fall.  And this tasty treat is not just for humans.  I found a recipe in Modern Dog magazine that is just for us canines - although I SUPPOSE we could share it with our humans:

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of plain organic yogurt
  • 1/3 cup of fresh Blueberries
You basically blend  the two ingredients - which is like a smoothie - and then you put it in in a silicon ice cube tray or even a rectangular silicone muffin tray.  You cover with foil and keep in the freezer about 6 hours - or until frozen.  And voila - a tasty, healthy treat.

And besides eating blueberry pupsicles, plain old blueberries are good for us canines.  There was a study on sled dogs who were fed blueberry supplements, and the dogs had an elevated antioxidant status.  Antioxidants are good  for protecting the body from all kinds of things - including cancer.  Nova Scotia grows LOTS of blueberries - so they are easy for us to get.  Velcro dog and I LOVE them.  Jaws has to pounce on his several times, chew it for 6 minutes, spit it out and THEN he swallows it.   And you should SEE what he does to a banana...

For anyone in our area, the Halifax Kennel Club show is on this weekend,  starting tonight.  None of us are entered in anything - we're not well trained enough to enter our next level of obedience, and my human wasn't up to the task of grooming us for the beauty pageant.  She's also been going to the hospital a lot - so it's just as well we weren't entered in any competitions.  Which is fine with me -  the groom-athon is NOT my favorite activity.  But that being said, rumor has it that she is going to escape from the hospital if all is well, for an hour on Saturday and an hour on Sunday and SOME of us will be participating in Meet the Breed.  It's that chance to schmooze with the public and talk about all the wonderful attributes of PONs.  One sits on a grooming table looking all fluffy and adorable while the public parades through and one's human doles out treats to give to us.  It's a pretty good gig.  I THOUGHT I heard that Jaws may also be going one day.  Now it's not like my human is an expert on the breed - I mean she has had a Picard for all of a month?  But honestly, who doesn't like a puppy?  Mind you,  Jaws may not be the best ambassador for the breed when he takes a chunk out of someone.   Not to worry.  My human will be equipped with band-aids.  And TONS of treats.

Now we get to flip a treat for which PON gets to go....hmmmmmmm......who will require LESS grooming....



3 comments:

  1. We would love to know the meaning behind Frodo's nickname of "velcro dog"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Good question. I used to have a Bernese Mountain Dog named Paxton. He and Viktor were notorious for running off together into the woods. Frodo, on the other hand never leaves me - or at least RARELY- he sticks to me like Velcro. Hence the nickname!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! So cute and I had combed through many old blog posts looking:) That is hilarious! Can't tell you how much my husband and I look forward to "Reading Viktor" as we say-every day!
      Take Care

      Delete