Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Picar-acteristics


So as you may recall, it was right around this time last year that Velcro Dog and I had our first herding experience.  Actually, it wasn't Frodo's first - he was exposed to sheep years ago.  And at that time he thought they were kind of cool.  But last year, with a more "formal" instinct test, both of us failed.  Miserably.  We both sat like stuffed dogs in the center of the ring and never even LOOKED at the sheep. Much less tried to herd them.  But undaunted, my human even took me AGAIN a few weeks later.  With the same results.  Let's face it - sheep are not like rabbits.  Maybe I'm a hound dog underneath all this hair.

But my human is wondering if MAYBE, Jaws might have the instinct.  He has this curious behavior - and she's not sure if it is a herding thing, a Picard thing or just an Elroy thing.  When my human throws a toy, like the Jol Ball, he will race out to it and then when he gets within a few feet of it, he comes to a screeching halt- and just stares at it. Like he has never seen the thing before. Then he SLOWLY approaches it and pounces on it. He does this frequently.  In fact much more often than not.  He is also notorious for grabbing at Frodo's butt from behind. Usually ending up with a mouthful of hair. Frodo is QUITE adamant about him stopping - if he has pulled off an extra large sample.  I have no idea if these are herding "things" but my human will be curious to see what happens if he is introduced to sheep.  So far, he hasn't attempted any bunny chasing although the other day there was a bunny not 10 feet from him - and he never even noticed him! He's too busy eating grass, and branches and chasing bugs to notice a bunny.

And speaking of interesting behavior...on Sunday, the three of us went OFF leash down to the lake.  I was sporting a bell - so I can be heard if I take off in the woods.  Velcro dog doesn't need a bell or a leash - because he is Velcro dog.  And Jaws was sporting his long line.  Usually when my human takes him down the trail to the lake, she holds onto the line, but on Sunday, she let him free.  And let me tell you, I have NEVER seen anything like it.  He went CRAZY.  I mean C-R-A-Z-Y.  He BOLTED down the trail, disappeared for 5 seconds in the woods, raced out, came racing back past us, spun around, went off in the woods, came out again - raced down the trail....it was like someone stuck a pin in a helium balloon.  We just stood and watched as he raced by.  And heaven forbid you should get in his way - he'll either leap over you (if you are a dog) or he will simply bash into you.  He should probably be wearing some kind of siren warning.   And a padded suit.



So these crazy behaviors - I have dubbed them Picar-acteristics.  I don't know if they are all unique to Picards.   I certainly know that I have exhibited the zoomies myself from time to time - but this guy is definitely different from us PONs.  And even though some of these things are Paxisms, he does march to a totally different drummer.  A drummer on speed.

Although I'm STILL not sure about him, I must confess, I ALMOST started to play with him the other day.  And then the over-the-top zoomies started and I just watched in amazement.   I think I have met my match in the crazy department!

Have a good one!



No comments:

Post a Comment