Saturday, September 10, 2016

Health....




At the 24 hour Vet clinic

Well I am here to report some good news.  Remember the "special person" who was in the hospital?  I am finally allowed to report that it was my human's mother.  She's OK now - so I can tell the story.

Our favorite computer-loving, independent, octogenarian was actually visiting with US over a week ago when my human noticed something odd.  Her mother's speech was suddenly not right.  She was having a mini stroke.  My human called the ambulance.   You know,  it was interesting because we would usually go CRAZY with strange people in our house - but we watched from another room and were unusually quiet...

I won't go into all of the details - but suffice to say that her symptoms thankfully resolved and after much work in the hospital to find the right medications for her, she has finally gone home.  Feeling like herself again.  Fantastic news.

It is critical when someone observes the symptoms of stroke that the person go to the hospital as quickly as possible.  Think of the acronym F.A.S.T. - which stands for facial droop,  arm weakness, speech difficulties and TIME.  If you see these symptoms get help quickly.  Stroke is s serious condition.

Humans can have a stroke at any age.  And dogs can have strokes as well.  The symptoms in a dog can include difficulty walking, a head tilt, abnormal eye movements, blindness, strange behavior or falling to one side.  They don't say anything about speech. I'm not sure why - Frodo sure does a LOT of speaking...  Usually a dog that has a stroke has an underlying health problem - like kidney disease, hypothyroidism or cardiac problems.  The treatment of stroke in dogs is similar to humans - with medication for blood pressure and/or sometimes blood thinners.

In other health news, I almost HATE to say this  for fear I will jinx myself, but I  have had no seizures this week.  And my medication has been reduced and the side effects seem to be wearing off.  My human is VERY hopeful that we have things under control. 

It is the weekend, and for SOME odd reason my human is THINKING  she is in need of a RESTFUL break.  She said she would LOVE a weekend where she doesn't have to go to a hospital or Veterinary clinic.  

And I must say, one thing that I learned from the past 2 weeks is that if you wish for something in  life, it shouldn't be about having the nicest dog toys.  Or the best treats.  Or having the fanciest dog bed.  You should wish for good health.  Because if you don't have THAT, nothing else really matters. Take good care of your health.  Eat those blueberries your human gives you.  And those carrots.  Go for a good long walk.  Lie in the shade - not the sun.  Watch that you don't eat junk.  If you're not feeling good - see a doctor.   And savor EVERY minute you DO feel good.  

I wish every one of you a happy, HEALTHY weekend!! Oh and if your blood pressure for some reason is LOW, let us know and we'll come over to raise it up!  Have a good one!








No comments:

Post a Comment