Friday, December 2, 2016

Hey Buddy




So it seems that a pet sitting company - Dog Vacay, published a list of the most popular dog names of 2016.  For boys it was Max, Charlie, Buddy, Cooper, Jack, Rocky, Toby, Tucker, Oliver and Tyler. For the girls it was Bella, Lucy, Daisy, Lola, Molly, Sadie, Sophie, Maggie, Bailey and Chloe.  My human knows dogs by many of those names. Note though, that Frodo, Viktor and Elroy were not included.  I'm SURE there are lots out there - we just have not yet become the most popular.  That's OK - we like being unique.  Although it's funny - there IS a name  in the list that my human calls each of us at any given time - Buddy.  Buddy is kind of a catch all name in Nova Scotia.  Not JUST for dogs - but people as well.   For example, you might hear a human say, "Did Buddy come to fix your plumbing?" or "Buddy delivered the paper late this morning." or "Buddy was driving too fast."  Everybody is a Buddy.  And so are we.  So we hear "Come on Buddy - we need to speed it up, I have to go to work."  or "Awwwww come on Buddy - why did you do that?" And of course we are all also called the following at any given time:  "No-no", "Stop-it" and "Knock-it-off."

People ask my human where she got our names.  For Frodo, well, our treasurer had been calling him Frodo - and my human thought it was cute so she kept the name.  If you haven't heard my use of the  word treasurer - it stems from the fact that I don't like the  word "litter" for a family of puppies.  Puppies are not garbage - so I prefer a "treasury of puppies."  So of course a breeder would be a treasurer!  But I digress.

As for my name - my human's grandfather's name was Victor.  With a "c'".  So my human changed the spelling so as not to offend relatives...

And Elroy...it probably goes back to that old cartoon the Jetsons which really old people like my human would remember. Although the dog in the cartoon was actually called Astro, she liked Elroy, which was the son's name.  She thought of it - and just thought Elroy looks like an Elroy.   I must agree...  But I do like Astro too -as he often seems to be in outer space and the name reminds me of asteroids...I think I may start calling him that...

I just need to be sure we have the right names on the Christmas stockings.   Mind you, each one COULD say Buddy...

Have a good one - all my buddies....

No comments:

Post a Comment