Thursday, December 8, 2016

National Christmas Tree Day



Today is December 8 and according to the crazy calendar it is National Christmas Tree Day.  I guess it's a day to go out and get your tree and then sing Oh Tannenbaum. In the US, while over 33 million real trees are sold, only 2% of people go out and cut their own trees.  In Canada, one of the top three provinces for Christmas tree production is Nova Scotia.  Over 1.8 million trees are harvested annually - and 95% of them leave the province!  As I mentioned the other day, my human went out and cut her tree this year.   She took Frodo to cut a tree once.  The operative word being "once."  He started harmlessly but incessantly barking at a family out for their festive hunt, while my human was trying to grab him and profusely apologizing and explaining that he "just wanted to say hello."  Frodo was also appalled by the fact that a Christmas tree farm is very wet and muddy.  I have never been to a tree farm - but I did go to the tree lot last year.  I went with STRICT instructions NOT to pee on any trees.  It was tough.  

But this year none of us went.  Just as well - too many rules.  

So now that the thing is decorated, my human wanted to get a photo of the THREE of us by the tree.  Picture the three of us- who are NOT allowed in the DFZ - with the dog tree and the REAL TREE with all glass ornaments.  And old toys under the tree.  Some of which are STUFFED toys.  Almost as good as letting us loose in the pet store.

My human had to really think this one through.  She got THE best treats she could find - freeze dried liver.  We'll probably all have the poops for the next three days after she freely doled out the stuff to keep our attention.  First she let me and Frodo in the DFZ.  And she set us up by the tree.  We are PRETTY good at "staying" but once Astro comes in, all control goes out the window.  He has the attention of a gnat and so since HE doesn't follow commands, I then pretend I don't know them either.  The photo you see is one of 5, 487 taken.  OK.  That's a bit of a stretch.  It was actually closer to 6,000.  And no - she did not place our paws that way.  It was during one of the quick "down" commands, that we all actually did together - and that's how we ended up.  I  must say, it does look good.  But the liver treats were better.

Anyway, whether you have a real tree, an artificial tree or even a photo of a tree - enjoy it today!  And all you dogs - whatever you do - don't pee on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment