Monday, December 26, 2016

Smuggling. And Boxing.




Happy Boxing Day. The day when humans stand in line to get after-Christmas bargains and they can't return anything that didn't work out because it is now on sale and the stores won't allow returns and when they CAN make a return, the thing they wanted is now gone.  Good times.  Again - another reason I am happy I am a dog.

Mind you - here in Nova Scotia, all the stores are closed.  Yup.  It's like Christmas plus.  So you have to wait until the day AFTER Boxing Day to stand in line for the Boxing Day sales, etc. etc.  Go figure.  I'll give it a pass.  Besides, the pet store never puts the GOOD dog toys on sale anyway.

We had a wonderful Christmas.  AND I got to be part of a smuggling operation on Christmas Eve.  I felt like a spy...

On Christmas Eve, my human and her mother and sister were going to church at 4:00.  And then they were going to my human's mother's apartment for dinner.  Which is all well and good - EXCEPT, yours truly needs to take his medication at 7AM and 7PM each day.  I haven't talked about my health in quite a while - and I am happy to report, I have been seizure free for ALMOST 2 months!!  But I DO need to take my medication - which can be tricky at certain times.  So since they would be going to my human's mother's place around 5:30, and my human wasn't going to drive BACK to our house to give me my pills - they decided I could come along for the party!  HOWEVER - my human's mother's apartment doesn't allow pets...

When my human came to pick me up after church, it was raining out.  She told me I MUST poop and pee - IMMEDIATELY.  I figured something was happening, so I obliged - but of course, got wet in the process.  So my human brought me in, used the jet engine dryer to fluff me up, and adorned me with a festive collar and bow.  And we were off.

We parked in the underground parking and my human furtively glanced around as she went to get me out of the vehicle.  The coast was clear.  Check one.  So then we went to get in the elevator and we waited with baited breath when the doors opened.   EMPTY.  Check two.  I had no idea where I was going - all I knew was that I looked smashing and my human had a pocket full of treats in the event we ran into anyone.  We got off the elevator at the proper floor.  Again - no one waiting.  Check three.  Down the hall, and we were IN.  Phew.  Now to check the place out.  Hmmmm....look at those human snacks on the coffee table...they must be for me too.  Right?  Wrong.  My human kept a close eye on me - it would have kind of put a damper on things if I had decided to "mark" my arrival on this festive night somewhere in the apartment.  NOT that I do that EVER in the house - but she wasn't taking any chances.  She's been owned by lots of boy dogs...I wore a leash for the first part of the evening.

In Polish custom, humans share a wafer called Oplatek at the beginning of the Christmas eve meal.  Everyone shares with everyone else - and they wish each other health and good luck for the next year.  Yours truly even got a little piece.  Tasted like cardboard to me - but the thought is nice.  I behaved the rest of the evening and had a great time.  And no one saw me on the way OUT of the building either.  Mission accomplished.

On Christmas,  I was thrilled to see that Santa HAD left gifts for me after all!  Each of us got an elk antler (no wonder my human suggested I put that on the list - she must have spoken to Santa), I got two new retrieving toys, Frodo got a treat dispensing toy and Elroy got a new ball.  There was a moment of PONdemonium in the DFZ when we were crazily ripping wrapping paper - and Frodo and I got into a "tussle."  I think it was the excitement of the moment.  My human broke up the growling brothers - who make more noise than anything and promptly evicted us from the DFZ.  Party over.  Seriously, my human has no sense of adventure.  Admittedly we WERE rolling on the floor right in front of the giant tree with all the glass ornaments.  I'm not pointing paws - but he started it.  I think.  Actually - Frodo and I were just preparing for BOXING Day.  That's what WE thought it was all about.  Good thing Santa doesn't come back for presents.  Does he?

My human prepared a turkey dinner for her sister and mother and we dogs got some treats.  We WERE sequestered during the meal as SOME of us stare at diners, and it can become a bit annoying.  Actually - we ALL do it. But we did behave AFTER the meal.

Today the plan is for a long walk. And I'd like to try out my retrieving toys.  And then another walk.  Maybe a nap.  Another walk.  Maybe a round of "find the bunny."  You get the picture - a dog perfect day.

Have a good one - and no fighting at the Boxing Day sales.






No comments:

Post a Comment