Thursday, December 4, 2014

Musical taste...


Let’s talk about music.  I don’t usually pay much attention to music – but there is ONE song that drives me crazy – that song by the Lumineers,  Ho Hey . EVERY time that song plays – no matter WHAT I am doing – I HAVE to bark.  There is something about those people shouting “Ho. Hey,”  that just sets me off.

So this, of course, got my human wondering if dogs really DO listen to music.  A  quick search of the internet revealed that we DO seem to have a preference for certain types of music.  In a study done in Ireland, a researcher found that if dogs listened to heavy metal music, they became more active and barked more.  That would NOT be a good idea in this house! If dogs listened to classical music, they became more relaxed. Listening to pop music was no different than listening to no music at all.  Clearly they didn’t use Ho Hey in the study.

Leave it to my human to then find a website that says they have created music to relax dogs.  Obviously I would be the PERFECT guinea pig for this music.   So she tried playing some of the music on the site.  It was mostly classical type music with the sounds of waves and birds mixed in.  I just looked at my human when she played it.  And I kept staring at her – because she was staring at me.  And we stared and stared.  She was hoping that the music would put me to sleep – like one of the dogs seen in a video on the site.  Guess what?  It didn’t work for me.  But are we REALLY surprised?  Personally, I think they drugged those dogs to make them fall asleep.  If it was that easy – to just play music to calm us - our human would be going out and buying a whole new stereo system.  Now mind you, while she was trying this short experiment on me, Paxton WAS snoring and dead to the world.  But then again, he’s not a PON…Actually, maybe we should try some polka music…and THEN let’s see what happens…

©  2014  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment