Monday, December 1, 2014

The dog tree


It has begun.  The Christmas Explosion. Our human goes a BIT over the top when it comes to Christmas.   If someone gets stressed over decorations,  this is NOT the place to come.  The whole decorating procedure takes at LEAST two full days.  And that’s not counting the cutting of the Christmas tree. I’ve never been to cut the tree.  Our human took Frodo once, because she figured he wouldn’t take off.  It’s a HUGE tree farm with hundreds of acres of trees.  You can take a horse drawn wagon to ride around the farm and look for your tree.  The day my human took Frodo, she drove to an isolated part of the farm, and figured Frodo would hang out with her while she wandered around looking for the BEST tree on the farm.  She had this fairy tale image of her and her dog, enjoying the great outdoors, sharing a special Christmas moment…



Within 1 minute of parking the car, a family with young kids parked about 200 yards away.  Frodo spotted them, and in perfect guard dog stance, RACED over barking madly.  My human RAN like crazy along the muddy uneven trails shouting “he’s friendly, he’s just saying hello,” while the kids were racing back to their vehicle, terrified.  She got ahold of Frodo and back he went to the car, by this point, covered in mud.  My human then roamed the tree farm solo.  That was the last time he went hunting for a tree.  Paxton has also never gone, because my human KNOWS he would take off and would visit with every other person within a 5 mile radius looking for a tree.  And me –I’ve never gone because she KNOWS I would either be gorging myself on deer poop, or chasing wildlife.



Today the Explosion began and one tree is already up – the BEST tree.  The DOG tree.  All of the ornaments are dogs or dog related.  And we have ALL kinds of dogs on our tree– we like to be inclusionary!  My human uses inexpensive leashes from the Dollar Store as garland and she has made bone shaped ornaments from colored pipe cleaners.  And BEST of all – she puts some of our obedience and beauty contest ribbons to good use – hanging them on the tree!!!  We figured if we shared these ideas, some of you might like to do this too – if you don’t already have a dog tree.  My guess is that many of you do – you humans are a little crazy when it comes to dog STUFF.



Here are some of the ornaments on our tree...

A pipe cleaner bone

These dogs are done by an artist right here in Nova Scotia.  This is Frodo...
Paxton

And ME!!!
What would a dog tree be without a fire hydrant?!
I'm not SURE he's a PON - but we'll call him one!!!
I was allowed in the DFZ to take the photo, but of course the first thing I did was attempt to pull one of the soft dog ornaments off the tree.  I have this sneaking suspicion that the DFZ is going to be off limits for the next few weeks.  ESPECIALLY when the REAL tree comes in.  You know me - I would probably pee on it! 
 

©  2014  Linda Wozniak


No comments:

Post a Comment