Monday, June 22, 2015

And in the news...


So time for a review of the news.  The first item is a BIT of an embarrassment for us canines.  It seems a CAT in California won the annual “Hero Dog” award.  Yes – you are reading that correctly.  A CAT won the award – for protecting a little boy from a not-so-nice dog.  Kudos to the cat – but come ON canine brothers and sisters– we need to get on the ball and win back the title.  Get out there – watch for damsels in distress, little boys trapped in wells,  baby birds that have fallen from their nests…we need to get back in the game!!

Wait!  I just found the story of the seeing eye dog who jumped in front of a bus to protect his owner.  Although both the dog and the owner were injured, the dog stayed with his owner until help arrived.  And the good news – they are both going to be OK.  Phew.  Well done fellow canine!

On a serious note – a retired school teacher in China paid over $1000 to save 100 dogs from the annual dog meat festival in southern China.  Yes.  Gulp.  You read that correctly.  The dog meat festival. Yang Xiaoyun traveled over 1500 miles to save the dogs – and to take them to a sanctuary she established in 1999.  Her shelter houses almost 1500 dogs.  The conditions in which she and the dogs live are sad to say the least.  But she is trying her best…   Boy. We dogs in the Western world sure don’t know how GOOD we have it…

On a good news note – a family in North Carolina was reunited with their dog who went missing.  6 years ago!  The dog was found and animal control was able to track the family down because the dog had a microchip.  IMAGINE the stories that dog has to tell.  Wonder what happened?  Did someone steal him?  Did he just decide to go on a road trip on his own?  Did he just get lost?  Yesterday I did my own "road trip" into the woods – while Paxton and Frodo just watched.  Paxton couldn’t join me – because he was on a leash – but Frodo didn’t want to get full of sticks and mud.  I just had a WONDERFUL carefree RACE through the woods.  But no worries about me disappearing – I hadn’t had my dinner yet – so I didn’t stray for long.  Paxton and Frodo tried to attack me as I raced back to the front door - after they had waited about 10 minutes for me to return. What can I say? Sometimes a guy just has to run.

So that’s the news for today.  Some good.  Some not so good.  How about we all try and make some good news today?  I'll try MY best. And as we know - for me, that can be a challenge!  Happy Monday...

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment