Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Zoos






June 10.  On this day in 1793, the first public zoo opened in Paris France.  There is evidence that zoos date back to 3500BC, but this was the first zoo in modern times.  I think my human probably remembers it.



Actually – a little bit more zoo trivia….do you know where the FIRST zoo in North America opened – in 1847?  Halifax, Nova Scotia!  Really!!!!  My human used to live across the street from the property, which is privately owned today.  Remnants of the old enclosures and the greenhouses are barely visible now.   My human used to walk several of her dogs on the property – with the owner's permission! 



While old zoos are kind of sad, because the animals don’t have much space – today there is an effort to make them more spacious – and to simulate the natural environment of the animals.   While some would argue that we shouldn’t even HAVE zoos – they do help to protect and breed those animals that are disappearing in the wild.  Due to humans.



My human used to visit the zoo in Buffalo, NY where she grew up.  She especially enjoyed Eddie –who was a very naughty chimp.  Even more naughty than me.  Eddie liked to throw….hmmmm…I might as well just say it…poop at visitors when they watched him.  But he had QUITE the fan club.



I’ve never been to a zoo myself.  I don’t actually think most zoos allow dogs inside.  I suppose that’s a good idea – can you IMAGINE Frodo and I if we saw an elephant?  I mean our heads explode when we see a bunny – so WHAT would happen if we saw one of them?  I nearly dragged my human on her knees the other morning when I spotted a bunny running across the road.  And yesterday, my human counted her lucky stars because while she was out with Frodo and MY buddy Jackson, she spotted a deer.  The dogs didn’t see him – good thing!  My human also saw something swimming in the lake the other night – either an otter or muskrat or beaver.  And someone told her that an ermine was spotted AND three eagles this week!



Given all the wildlife around us, I guess we don’t even need a zoo.   Although some would argue that one step into OUR house, and they HAVE entered a zoo.  Maybe I should start charging an admission fee!




©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment