Monday, June 29, 2015

Hug Holiday Day


June 29.  Today is Hug Holiday Day.  Now what I am about to say, may surprise some people – but the truth is….we dogs don’t REALLY love to be hugged. Really.  Yes – some dogs DO allow humans to hug them – and it is likely they were conditioned from the time they were VERY little puppies to be hugged and squeezed.  But MANY dogs see hugging as a sign of dominance – and they may find it uncomfortable. Some dogs are able to “sense” the positive feelings that the human feels when hugging – so the dogs like that.  But truth be known, many of us would prefer a good belly rub or a scratch behind our ears – rather than a hug.  That’s why it’s important to warn kids not to run up and hug strange dogs.  It could have bad results.

When it comes to affection in our house, Paxton is fine with hugging.  You could drape three kids over him and he would be in his glory.  Frodo is probably the most independent of us.  He likes a belly rub and some good ear scratches – but only for a few minutes.  And he WILL let you hug him.  For 23.6 seconds.  That’s enough for him.  And me?  I do like to cuddle and LOVE belly rubs.  And I’ll sneak up and snuggle with my human – when she’s asleep.  And I DO enjoy a hug – but probably not as much as Pax.  Keep in mind, that to hug- you need to stand still.  And that’s the tough part for me.  I’d rather retrieve.

Now I’m not saying to NEVER hug your dog.  Just do it when we’re relaxed and comfortable.  And if we ARE the huggable type – by all means – go ahead and hug away.  I think most of us would be happy for a hug today – since it IS the holiday.  And if your dog doesn’t want to be hugged – go find a human.  But preferably one you know.  It’s not a great idea to go up and randomly hug strangers.  Without asking.  I think I read that somewhere.

Have a good one!  And big hugs to all of you!!!!

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment