Tuesday, June 30, 2015

No ugly dogs


So.  They just had an annual contest in California.   The title?  World’s Ugliest Dog.  The winner this year is a dog named Quasi Modo – a ten-year old mixed breed dog from Florida.  Poor Quasi has a birth deformity – so she has a shortened spine.

I must confess, when I first heard about the competition, I was a bit ……hmmmmmm….miffed.  I felt sorry for those dogs who just aren’t quite as adorable as I am.  OK.  I know that sounds bad – but I AM cute sometimes.  Bad.  But cute.  And I thought it was kind of mean to make fun of those dogs.

But then I started reading more about the dogs – and about the competition.  It isn’t about making fun of the dogs – but about showing that beauty in any creature lies WITHIN.  Quasi’s bio encouraged people not to “judge a book by its cover.”  And “just because a person or animal looks different, it doesn’t mean they are less deserving of love”. Quasi really IS a beautiful dog. And she apparently has the personality to match that beauty.

So after that I felt a little better.  Although I'm thinking that perhaps they could change the contest name to “World’s Most UNIQUE Dog”.  That would sound better. When you look at the owners with their “ugly” dogs – you see how much they really love them with all their uniqueness.  And THAT made me happy. 

Now who do I call about changing the name?

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment