Saturday, June 20, 2015

New breeds.


I was reading in the paper that the AKC has just recognized three new breeds.  I don’t get that word “recognized”.  Could the AKC not see them before?  Did the AKC have amnesia before? 

Anyway, the Berger Picard comes from France.  So it’s in the Herding Group.  More competition for us PONS.  They were actually in three movies: Because of Winn Dixie, Daniel and the Superdogs and Are We Done Yet?  They have pointy ears and look kind of scruffy.  They are supposed to be smart – but then most herding breeds are.  Of course, I am biased.  They supposedly don’t require a lot of grooming.  I think I want one.

The Miniature American Shepherd is another herding dog.  MORE competition.  To me, they look like little Australian Shepherds.   But I will no doubt get in trouble for saying that – no humans want anyone to mistake THEIR breed for another.  When my human first got Bernese Mountain Dogs, and they were not yet popular, people thought her dogs were Saint Bernards.  Seriously. My human would just roll her eyes and explain that they were very different.  So maybe the people who own these Miniature American Shepherds will roll THEIR eyes if people think they are little Australians.  Kind of like Miniature Pinschers and Dobermans.  They are NOT the same.  And then you have the confusing Poodles.  They have big ones - standard, smaller ones- miniature and the micro-mini ones - the toys.  It is all so confusing.  But it IS interesting that the home of Australian Shepherds is America. Clever name.  You humans.  You do such strange things.

The last breed is the Lagotto Romagnolo - from Italy. This breed is a sporting breed.  They look KIND of like Portuguese Water Dogs. (I’m sure I’ll get in trouble for THAT comparison too.  But remember – I’m just a dog – what do I know?)  And their sport? They hunt truffles.  Not foxes.  Truffles.  Seems like a pretty easy prey.  Although apparently truffles are not ALL that easy to find.  They are basically mushrooms.  That grow underground.  And they are a bit of a delicacy. They usually cost anywhere from $95-$165 an OUNCE.  In 2014, what was supposed to be the worlds’s largest white truffle at 4.16 lbs sold to someone in China for over $61,000!  Seriously?  I think I have found a new job!!! IMAGINE all the treats I could buy with THAT money.

So welcome to the new breeds. And now excuse me while I go mushroom hunting.  I was sure I saw some in the back yard…

© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment