Saturday, June 6, 2015

Fast.


June 6.  In the US today, there is a big horse race called the Belmont Stakes.  It is the third big race in the Triple Crown – a race for three year old Thoroughbreds.   A horse that wins all three races is considered a big deal.  This year, there is a contender – a horse called American Pharoah. There hasn’t been a Triple Crown winner since 1978.  The odds, as I write this are 3-5 for him.  I’m betting on Keen Ice.  The name reminds me of our driveway this winter.  And the odds on him winning are 20-1.  OK.  Those are not great odds.  But when I win, I’ll get lots of money.  So THAT’S my bet.

Dogs can race too.  But just like horseracing, it is a controversial sport.  Dog racing is done with greyhounds because they are reportedly the fastest breed. They can run 45 miles per hour. Cheetahs are even faster – they can run in bursts of 70-75 mph.  THAT is fast.

A search on the internet for the fastest dog breeds revealed the following - and some may be surprising!!!

Greyhound (45 mph), Saluki (43 mph), Vizsla (40mph), Jack Russell Terrier (38 mph), Dalmation (37 mph),  Borzoi (36 mph),  Whippet (35 mph),  Weimaraner (35 mph), Doberman (30 mph), Border Collie (30 mph).

OK, the sight hounds are no surprise. And we know those terriers can be fast chasing rodents.  But Dalmations?  Right.  Chasing fire trucks!

I think it would be fun to race Bassett Hounds.  Or Pekingese.  On a course like a greyhound course.  THAT would be fun to watch.  If you had 8 hours to spare.

But seriously, WHAT breed do we see missing in the top 10?!  PONs!  OBVIOUSLY no one has clocked me when it’s dinner time.  Now THAT is fast!!!  I think I could even give those Greyhounds a run for their money!

 

©  Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment