Friday, June 5, 2015

On pins and needles


I saw him.  Well.  I HEARD him.  And I wanted to go and make his acquaintance.  But my human was having a lucky day.  So I didn’t get to meet him.



Who?



The porcupine.



Yesterday morning during my 5AM constitutional with Frodo,  (and my human) we stopped on the road .  My human had to pick up Frodo’s “deposit” which was proudly left in the middle of the entry to a neighbor’s driveway.  Leave it to Frodo to leave his mark in a conspicuous location.



JUST as my human was about to bend over to pick up the treasure, she saw me looking into the bushes at the side of the road.  Actually I was listening.  And of course I was on a leash.  And had my human not noticed my fascination, she would not have been prepared when I tried to BOLT into the bushes.  But she WAS ready.  And she held tight.  It was then that she heard – AND she saw what had captured my interest.  Mr. Porky.  Thankfully Frodo didn’t notice – because two PONs with wild intent CAN be hard to control!  But Frodo didn’t see or hear Spike, so my human JUST had me to contend with.  She kept repeating about 4000 times, “Leave it!”  Then she cautiously bent down to gather Frodo’s monument, all the time holding on to me for dear life.  We then turned around and went back home.  I kept looking over my shoulder to see if I could spot the walking pin cushion.  But he was gone.



So now my human will be on pins and needles watching out for my new-found “friend.”  Pun intended.   I have a feeling there will no be running off leash early in the morning or late at night.  The joys of country living!



© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment