Sunday, June 14, 2015

Flag Day


June 14.  Today is Flag Day in the US.  My human remembers when she was a kid that it was a special day in school.  Kids would decorate their bikes and ride them to school – with lots of US flags.  I’m not sure if they still do it in schools.  In Canada, Flag day was in February.  I don’t remember seeing lots of flags out – but then, people would have been frozen putting them outside.  I think Canada needs to change the date…

Flags are cool because they usually have special meaning behind them.  The colors and the symbols usually represent something significant for the country or the organization.  For example, the US flag has 13 stripes representing the first 13 colonies of the United States.  The 50 stars represent the 50 states.

The Polish flag is red and white.  The red represents blood shed in the fight for independence and the white stands for peace.

The red in the Canadian flag is supposedly taken from the red of Saint George’s Cross and the white from the French royal emblem.  The maple leaf?  Some say the points represent the provinces. Others say it’s just because we have lots of maple trees.

I think we dogs should have our own flags.   Every breed.  And the PON flag?  Hmmmmm.  Red and white.  Like the Polish flag.  And what else could be on it?  A brain.  Because we are smart.  And a food bowl.  Because we like to eat.  It could have a sheep on it.  For herding.  And a comb.  (I’m not crazy about that one – but Frodo says it’s a reality – so I had to add his contribution).  And the border could look like kielbasa. 

Now.  I just need to draw one.  Or better yet – get my human to do it.  Because it is the weekend.  And I don’t think she has enough to do.

Happy Flag Day to all my US friends!



© Linda Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment